Wednesday, August 30, 2006

As We Grow

At some point, this site can, hopefully, publish original posts, articles, tutorials, tips etc. In the meantime, I'll post links to other sites who've been there and have contributed to the world of radio and audio. Some of these sites - and by no means the only ones who've taught me a lot, and if I'm leaving out others, please forgive me - are Transom, Public Radio Exchange, and the one site where I've devoured, perhaps, every single entry Film Sound. As I've mentioned before, my radio production approach has been largely influenced by film sound designs. Legends like Walter Murch, Randy Thom , Gary Rydstrom , Ben Burtt , Dane Davis , and Ren Klyce , to name a few, have been great influences. Sound is, at least, 50% of a good film's success. I know you'll argue with me on that, maybe, but it just is the case. Viewers will forgive poor and grainy picture, but they will not an imperfectly designed sonic world. Anyway, I thought it appropriate to set things off with a series of posts that have been enormously helpful in my understanding sound design, theory (don't get into too much of it, though) and tips and practices. A few working craft-ists (I have a thing againsts calling someone artist) have the unusual ability to articulate the theory and practice of sound design. One such person is, surprise, surprise, Walter Murch. This is a gem of a piece presented by the folks at Transom and no audiophile should miss reading it, or viewing the Quicktime demonstration of his work on the great Apocalypse Now . Let's not waste time here. Click here to read the Murch article . I'd love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment here. I've also added a Tools Guide link on the sidebar, also a a great feature from the Transom folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home